Thursday, April 21, 2011

Carrot Cake Recipe

    I must first tell you that the list of classes and teachers for Sock Summit 2011 http://www.socksummit.com/ has been posted.  Check it out and plan a trip to Portland this summer.  Summer is the ONLY time to visit Portland because the other 9 months are dark and dreary.  The sun does happen to be shining right now though.  That doesn't mean that it is warm!

     Here's the Carrot Cake recipe that my family repeatedly requests for birthdays.  I got it from the Atlanta Journal and Constitution decades ago.

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup canola oil
3 eggs
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3 cups shredded carrots (I add a little more than this for a VERY moist cake)
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional, but my family says "yes" to nuts.)

     Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour two round cake pans (sizes below).  Mix sugar, oil, eggs, in a large bowl until blended.  Beat 1 minute.  Stir in flour, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, salt and nutmeg.  Beat 1 minute.  Stir in carrots and nuts.  Pour batter into pans.

     Bake as directed below or until inserted toothpick is clean.  Cool 10 minutes.   Remove from pans.  Cool completely.

1   13x9x2 pan     35-40 minutes
2   8x1 1/2 rounds  35-40 minutes
2   9x1 1/2 rounds  30-35 minutes

     If you'd like and Apple cake instead of a carrot cake, substitute 3 cups chopped tart apples for the carrots.  McIntosh is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE apple for baking, especially in pies.  If you want the pie recipe, let me know!

     Cream Cheese Frosting

 1  8 oz. container cream cheese, softened
 1 Tbs. milk
 1 tsp.  vanilla
 1 - 2 cups confectioner's sugar (The recipe calls for 4 cups but when I use this much, all I taste is sugar and no cream cheese.  I don't like that!!!  So, play around with this.)

     Beat cream cheese, milk and vanilla in a large bowl on low speed until smooth.  Gradually beat in the sugar, 1 cup at a time until smooth and of spreading consistency.  As I gradually add the sugar I taste the icing until I get the sweetness that I like,  which is "not too sweet."

     Spread a layer on top of one cake (if you're using two rounds) and then place the second cake on top of that.  Now, ice the whole cake, sides and all.  VOILA!!!   Delicious carrot cake!!!

Here's the picture again.

Delish!!!

     Happy Thursday!

     Anna
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog.